Gluten-Free “Fried” Drumsticks
Most children enjoy picking up drumsticks and eating with their ﬁngers. This version is low in fat, since it’s not fried.
3 pounds chicken drumsticks
1 teaspoon salt
˝ teaspoon ground paprika
˝ cup gluten-free cracker crumbs or ground nuts, if tolerated
2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking oil.
2. Remove skin from drumsticks.
3. Add spices to crumbs and place in a shallow dish or pie plate.
4. Beat egg lightly with water and pour into a second shallow dish or pie plate.
5. Dip drumsticks ﬁrst in the egg mixture. Then roll in crumbs to coat thoroughly. Arrange coated drumsticks on prepared cookie sheet.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake about 45 minutes or until done.
Each serving contains 600 calories, 31g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 325mg cholesterol, 925mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 37g protein.
*For Egg-Free “Fried” Drumsticks, mix 4 tablespoons flax meal with 5 to 6 tablespoons hot water. Add more hot water 1 tablespoon at a time if too thick. (Keep it thick and sticky.) Dip drumsticks in mixture and then roll in cracker crumbs.