Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Fried Onion Rings
Do you miss fried onion rings? Made with a gluten-free beer batter, these rings are crispy outside and tender inside, just like you remember. Indulge!
1 cup gluten-free flour blend of choice* (without
xanthan gum), more for sprinkling
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup gluten-free beer
1 medium onion
Oil of choice, for frying
1. Place 1 cup flour blend and salt and pepper in a bowl and combine. Stir in 1 cup beer until ingredients are well blended. If batter is too thin, add an additional tablespoon flour. If too thck, add an additional tablespoon beer.
2. Peel onion and cut off the ends. Slice onion into ¼-inch to ½-inch thick slices. Break apart the rings and sprinkle them with flour blend.
3. Pour oil into a frying pan, just deep enough to cover rings. Heat oil to medium-high until a drop of beer batter sizzles when placed in pan.
4. Dip floured onion rings into beer batter and fry in oil on medium heat until golden brown. Add more oil if needed between rings. (Wait for oil to get sizzling hot before frying.)
5. Place fried rings on paper towels to drain. Keep onion rings warm until all are fried.
Recipe by Madalene Rhyand, director of Living Without’s test kitchen.