Gluten-Free Cranberry Mayo Bread
MAKES 1 LOAF
Bursting with flavor, this sandwich bread is slightly tangy.
1 cup white rice flour
¾ cup brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch
½ cup potato starch
¼ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup dry milk powder or dry potato
1 tablespoon xanthan gum or guar gum
1 tablespoon yeast
3 large eggs, room temperature
½ cup water or cranberry liquid, warm to touch
½ cup mayonnaise, yogurt or dairy-free yogurt
½ cup canned whole berry cranberry sauce, drained with ½ cup liquid reserved
¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese or dairy-free Swiss cheese, optional
1. Grease an 8½x4½-inch loaf pan.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend together flours, tapioca starch, cornstarch, salt, sugar, milk powder (if desired), xanthan gum and yeast.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, water or cranberry liquid, mayonnaise, cranberries and cheese (if desired).
4. With mixer on low speed, add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients. When ingredients are moistened, increase mixer speed to medium-high, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Mix until all ingredients are combined and mixture has the consistency of cake batter.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place loaf in a warm, draft-free place to rise for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaf in preheated oven for 75 minutes or until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
Each slice contains 166 calories, 4g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 42mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g protein.
LynnRae Ries is author of Delicious Gluten-Free, Wheat-Free Breads.