Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Green Bean Casserole
SERVES 8 TO 10
[Updated Nov. 23, 2015]
With a few easy substitutions, you can enjoy favorite Thanksgiving casseroles like this one. No one will suspect this delicious classic is gluten free. This dish travels well; garnish with "fried onions" just before serving.
1 medium onion, sliced into thin rings
⅓ cup gluten-free All-Purpose Flour Blend
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Cooking spray
1 pound green beans, canned or fresh, rinsed, trimmed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free substitute
2 large Portobello mushrooms, sliced
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons gluten-free All-Purpose Flour Blend
⅓ cup sour cream or dairy-free sour cream
2 cups gluten-free cream of mushroom soup (see shopping
list at right)
1. To make “fried” onions, preheat oven to 475 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside. Combine onion slices, ⅓ cup flour blend and salt in a large bowl, tossing until onions are evenly coated. Pour out onto prepared baking sheet, separating onion rings. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown, tossing one or two times. Remove from oven and set aside while you prepare the casserole.
2. To make the casserole, turn oven temperature down to 400 degrees.
3. If using fresh beans, boil them in lightly salted water for 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain. If using canned beans, rinse, drain and set aside.
4. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Toss in sliced mushrooms and pepper and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. Add spices and flour, stirring to coat. Cook an additional minute and add sour cream and soup. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook while mixture thickens, about 5 to 8 minutes more.
6. Remove from heat and stir in half the “fried” onions and the drained beans.
7. Pour mixture into a large casserole dish and cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle remaining prepared onions on top and bake an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Each serving contains 120 calories, 7g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein.
*TIP: Pressed for time? Top casserole with gluten-free Funyuns Onion-Flavored Rings, fritolay.com.