Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Blueberry Cinnamon Scones
MAKES 12 SCONES
To dress these up, drizzle baked scones with a glaze (mix together confectioners’ sugar and milk of choice). Make the glaze sufficiently thick so it doesn’t drip down the sides. Alternatively, brush scones with a mixture of brown sugar and milk of choice before baking. Serve scones with homemade preserves, if desired.
2½ cups (about 15 ounces) gluten-free muffin mix (see
Shopping List on right)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter or dairy-free buttery spread, cut
into small pieces and frozen for 10 minutes
1 large egg or flax gel
½ cup milk or dairy-free milk of choice
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
¾ cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the muffin mix and cinnamon. Pulse briefly to blend. Scatter pieces of butter or dairy-free spread over the dry mix and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Combine the egg, milk and vinegar in a separate bowl. Add to flour mixture and pulse until moistened.
4. Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and fold in the blueberries. Scoop dough (about 3 tablespoons in each scoop) onto cookie sheets, leaving room for scones to spread.
5. Place cookie sheets in preheated oven and bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.