Pumpkin Quick Bread
MAKES 1 LOAF
Coconut oil helps this loaf brown nicely, giving it a moist texture and a bit of crunch around the edges. Slice and serve it with dinner or toast it for breakfast, spread with Apple Butter or your favorite jam.
2¾ cups Multi-Grain Flour Blend
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ cup sugar or evaporated cane juice
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup pure pumpkin puree
¾ cup + 1 table- spoon coconut milk beverage or dairy-free milk of choice, more as needed
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 tablespoons coco- nut oil, melted, or oil of choice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
2. Combine flour blend, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine pumpkin puree, milk, vanilla and coconut oil in a large mixing bowl. Blend on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.
4. Add dry ingredients and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. If batter seems too dry, add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place in preheated oven and bake 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (If toothpick comes out sticky, cover loaf loosely with foil and bake 15 more minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.)
Makes 14 slices. Each slice contains 179 calories, 5g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 8g sugars, 2g protein, 18 Est GL.
MAKES 2 CUPS
This all-purpose blend contains three whole-grain flours, offering more nutrients and fiber than many standard all-purpose blends.
½ cup brown rice flour
½ cup + 2 tablespoons sorghum flour
½ cup amaranth flour
¼ cup arrowroot starch
2 tablespoons potato starch (not potato flour)
1. Combine ingredients until well blended. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.