Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
MAKES 12 TO 14 MUFFINS
Start your day with a gluten-free lemon poppy seed muffin for breakfast. These muffins are moist and delicious, with a vibrant flavor. They can be made ahead and frozen. They can also be made egg-free.
1¾ cups Living Without’s all-purpose flour blend
1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free buttery spread, softened
⅔ cup sugar, more for topping
2 large eggs*
1 cup buttermilk** or milk of choice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour blend, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add poppy seeds and lemon zest and blend well. Set aside.
4. On low speed, add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Add the buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat just until smooth.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each ¾ full. Sprinkle sugar over muffin tops just before baking.
6. Place muffin tin in preheated oven and bake 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Each muffin contains 161 calories, 6g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 44mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 10g sugars, 2g protein, 16 Est GL.
*For Egg-Free Lemon Poppy Muffins, omit 2 eggs. Combine 3 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer and 4 tablespoons warm water, mixing well. Add to creamed butter and sugar in Step 3.