Gluten-Free Gingerbread Men
MAKES 2 TO 3 DOZEN
Here’s the essential holiday cookie. The wonderful aroma that fills your kitchen while theyse gingerbread men are baking is reason enough to make them. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below*.
½ cup butter or dairy-free alternative,
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup molasses
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup sorghum flour
½ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
½ cup arrowroot starch
1½ teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, arrowroot starch, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
3. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture to form a dough.
4. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill in the refrigerator about 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each half of dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper into ⅛- to ¼-inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut dough into gingerbread men. Pick up cookies with a metal spatula and transfer them to prepared baking sheet. If cut-outs are too sticky or soft to transfer, chill them for 5 minutes and try again. Gather scraps together and continue cutting cookies until all dough is used.
7. Place cookies in preheated oven and bake 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute before removing.
8. Decorate with your favorite gluten-free icing and sprinkles, if desired.
Each cookie contains 94 calories, 3g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 13mg cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 6g sugars, 1g protein, 10Est GL.
*For Egg-Free Gingerbread Men, omit 1 egg. Mix 1 tablespoon flax meal with 2 tablespoons hot water. Add to recipe in step 1 to replace 1 egg.
Food blogger Cara Reed (forkandbeans.com) specializes in creative ways to bake without gluten, dairy and eggs. She lives in Los Angeles, California.