Gluten-Free Cracked Pepper Cornbread and Apple Stuffing Recipe
This unique gluten free take on the beloved Thanksgiving cornbread stuffing recipe will have your guests scrambling for seconds!
Adding apples and cranberries to Cracked Pepper Cornbread creates a memorable sweet-and-spicy stuffing. Apple-smoked bacon, fresh herbs and turkey drippings contribute to the taste. The result is a mouthful of flavors and textures in every bite. This stuffing can be made 1 to 2 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator; reheat before serving. It can be made with egg replacement.
1 pan Cracked Pepper Cornbread, crumbled
8 slices bacon
2 tablespoons olive oil or grape seed oil, divided
2½ cups yellow onions, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried sage
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1¼ cups dried cranberries
3 cups tart apples (Granny Smith,
Pink Lady, McIntosh), peeled and chopped
1 cup gluten-free, dairy-free turkey or chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
-Pepper, to taste, optional
1 egg, beaten
-Pan drippings, to finish
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly oil one 10x13-inch casserole dish.
2. Crumble cornbread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let air dry.
3. In a large stockpot over high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to cutting board and chop. Set aside.
4. Remove all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from the stockpot. Add 1 tablespoon oil and reheat. Add onions and celery and sauté until vegetables are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add herbs, cranberries, apples and bacon and cook together, about 3 minutes. Lower heat.
5. Transfer cornbread crumbs to stockpot. Add broth, salt and pepper, stirring gently until all ingredients are combined. Heat on low about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent stuffing from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and let cool.
6. Add beaten egg to cooled stuffing, stirring to incorporate. Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered, basting with turkey drippings several times during the baking process. Serve warm with turkey.
Each serving contains 318 calories, 17g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 61mg cholesterol, 749mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 19g sugars, 5g protein, 18 Est GL.
For Egg-Free Cornbread and Apple Stuffing, omit 1 egg. Combine 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoons warm water. Let sit 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Add to recipe in place of egg. (Be certain to prepare Cracked Pepper Cornbread with egg replacement.)
This cornbread is slightly sweet with a spicy twist. Serve it as a special dinner bread or crumble it to make Cracked Pepper Cornbread and Apple Stuffing. It can be made 1 to 2 days ahead. For egg-free cornbread, see instructions below.
¾ cup Mary’s All-Purpose Baking Flour Blend
¾ cup gluten-free cornmeal
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon peppercorns, crushed to a coarse meal, more to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1¼ cups coconut milk, buttermilk or dairy-free milk of choice
¼ cup vegetable oil, such as grape seed oil or canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil one 9x9-inch baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour blend, cornmeal, sugar, peppercorns, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
3. In another bowl, blend together eggs, milk and oil.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry mixture and stir until combined. Batter will be thick.
5. Transfer batter to prepared pan and place in preheated oven. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Remove from oven and let cool completely in pan.
Each serving contains 256 calories, 16g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 47mg cholesterol, 487mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 6g sugars, 3g protein, Est GL 16.
MAKES 6 CUPS
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1⅓ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
1. Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.