Gluten-Free Carrot Raisin Bread
SERVES 8 TO 12
Sneaking a healthy vegetable into this recipe is only the beginning. Try adding extra raisins, some coconut or even other dried fruit (freshly diced) for bigger flavor. This recipe makes one 8½x4½-inch loaf or two 5½x3-inch mini-loaves or 24 mini-muffins.
1 recipe Coconut Oat Bran Bread
2/3 cup unflavored milk of choice (NOT ¾ cup)
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 lightly packed cup finely shredded or grated fresh carrots
½ cup golden or dark raisins
1 cup raw seeds or roughly chopped nuts, toasted, optional
½ cup finely diced dates or other dried fruit, optional, rolled in gluten-free flour
½ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 8½x4½-inch loaf pan or two 5½x3-inch mini-loaf pans. Alternatively, place liners in a 24-count mini-muffin pan.
2. Prepare Coconut Oat Bran Bread batter through step 3 (page 53).
3. In a small bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup milk and ginger. Add to the Coconut Oat Bran Bread batter and fold with a silicone spatula until all ingredients are just combined. Fold in carrots and raisins and other optional ingredients, if using.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan(s) or scoop about 2/3 full into mini-muffin pans.
5. Place in preheated oven. Bake 8½x4½-inch loaf pan 30 minutes and then rotate the pan for even baking. Bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Bake mini-loaf pans 30 minutes and then rotate the pans. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Cool loaves in the pan 5 minutes. Transfer loaves to a rack and cool completely. Bake mini-muffins 13 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Cool in pan a few minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Each serving contains 302 calories, 14g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 38mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 20g sugars, 4g protein, 23Est GL.