Gluten-Free Apple Crumb Cake
SERVES 8 TO 10
With a moist, tender crumb and a crisp topping, this delicious cake works as a breakfast item or as dessert. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
1½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ cup coconut oil, measured in solid form,
plus 1-2 teaspoons for greasing pan
¾ cup coconut palm sugar
2 large eggs,* room temperature
¼ cup milk of choice
1½ cups peeled, diced apple (about 1 large apple)
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds or walnuts
2 large Medjool dates, pitted
½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
¼ cup coconut palm sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
¼ cup coconut oil, measured in solid form, chilled
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease the inside of an 8-inch springform pan with 1 to 2 teaspoons coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour blend, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. Beat together ¼ cup coconut oil and coconut palm sugar until thoroughly combined and the sugar takes on the consistency of wet sand. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly and scraping down the bowl between each addition.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the milk. Mix until combined. Stir in apples. Batter will be thick.
5. Transfer batter to prepared pan and level with a spatula.
6. To make Topping, place pumpkin seeds in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse several times until seeds are coarsely chopped. Add dates and pulse again until they are chopped and incorporated. Seeds (or walnuts, if used) should be in small pieces, almost a flour-like consistency.
7. Add ½ cup flour, ¼ cup coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, xanthan gum and nutmeg. Process until combined.
8. Cut chilled coconut oil into marble-size pieces. Add to flour mixture and pulse several times to combine.
9. Turn mixture into a medium bowl and quickly continue to work coconut oil into the mixture with your fingertips until it begins to clump.
10. Spread Topping over the cake batter without pressing it in.
11. Place pan on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven 45 to 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
12. Let cake cool in pan 15 to 20 minutes. Run an offset spatula between the cake and the pan and remove the outside portion of pan. Serve cake warm or let cool completely. Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container.
Each serving contains 337 calories, 16g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 42mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 25g sugars, 4g protein, 31 Est GL.
For Egg-Free Apple Crumb Cake, omit 2 eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons flax meal with 6 tablespoons warm water or warm applesauce; let rest 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Add flax meal mixture to step 3.
Amy Green (simplysugarandglutenfree.com) is author of Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free, 180 Easy & Delicious Recipes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less.