Crusty Herb Popovers
MAKES 12 POPOVERS
Crisp and Custardy
This recipe is a great substitution for bread at any meal and is easy and rewarding to make. Adding fresh herbs compliments your Thanksgiving menu. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
1 cup milk or dairy-free milk of choice
⅓ cup tapioca starch/flour
⅔ cup white rice flour
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, rosemary or sage, chopped finely
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place a 12-cup muffin tin in the oven to preheat. (A warm muffin tin helps the batter rise. Keep the tin in the oven until you’re ready to pour in the batter.)
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until blended. Add tapioca starch/flour, white rice flour, herbs and salt. Whisk until combined and smooth.
3. Carefully remove the hot baking tin from the oven. Lightly grease it with cooking spray.
4. Pour in the batter, filling each muffin cup three-quarters full. (Fill any empty muffin cups with water to ensure even baking.)
5. Place popovers in preheated oven and bake 25 minutes or until popovers are puffed high and turn a rich, golden brown. (For puffiest popovers, do not open the oven door before 25 minutes.) Serve immediately.
Each popover contains 78 calories, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 73mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 3g protein.