Gluten-Free Coffee Cake
MAKES 16 SLICES
This moist coffee cake is delicious with a touch of cinnamon or all dressed up with fresh apples, nutmeg or whatever additions you choose. Not too sweet, it's perfect for brunch and even dessert. It can be made with egg replacement with excellent results; see instructions below.
3 cups Dee’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend or all-purpose
flour blend of choice
1⅓ cups granulated sugar or organic evaporated
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if in your flour blend)
˝ teaspoon salt (omit if in your flour blend)
1⅓ cups milk of choice
2 large eggs*
4 tablespoons canola oil or oil of choice
4 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1˝ cups fruit of choice, chopped, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan or springform pan.
2. Sift together flour blend, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. In small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, canola oil and applesauce.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and blend by hand with a large wooden spoon. Stir in chopped fruit of choice, if desired.
5. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
6. To make Topping, place 4 tablespoons flour blend, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon in a small bowl. Blend together with a fork until mixture just comes together but is still lumpy. Sprinkle over top of coffee cake batter.
7. Place pan on middle rack in preheated oven and bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
8. When done, remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes in pan. Then invert pan onto cooling rack or plate to cool or remove rim if using springform pan and cool. Slice cake and serve with crumb topping on top.
Each serving contains 241 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 24g sugars, 2gprotein, 31Est GL.
*TIP: For Egg-Free Coffee Cake, omit 2 eggs. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons golden flaxmeal with 6 tablespoons hot water. Let sit 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Use mixture in place of eggs.
MAKES 3 CUPS
2 cups brown rice flour or sorghum flour
⅔ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
⅓ cup tapioca starch/flour
Combine ingredients. Refrigerate in a tightly covered container until used.