Coffee Ice Cream
MAKES 1 QUART
Coffee is my in-laws’ favorite ice cream flavor. When they raved about this dairy-free, refined sugar-free version, I knew this recipe was a winner.
¼ cup coffee beans
1 cup hot water
½ cup soft pitted Medjool dates (about 8 dates)
1 (13-ounce) can full-fat canned coconut milk
1¼ cups unsweetened vanilla hemp milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon guar gum, optional
1. Grind coffee beans in a coffee grinder and then place them in a French press. Pour in 1 cup hot water, just off the boil. Steep the coffee for about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, use 1 cup very strong fresh-brewed coffee.)
2. Add coffee to a blender, along with the dates and coconut milk. Puree until smooth.
3. Add hemp milk, vanilla and guar gum, if desired. Puree again.
4. Refrigerate mixture until cold or place it in the freeze for about 1 hour.
5. Pour cold mixture into the ice cream machine and process, per manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Serve ice cream straight from the machine. For pretty scoops, freeze ice cream until it’s hard. Then allow it to thaw on the counter for about 20 minutes before serving.