Chocolate-Dipped Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Macaroons
MAKES 30 to 32 MACAROONS
These egg-free macaroons are sweetened without sugar. They're quick and easy to make--and they're delicious! Drizzled with dark chocolate, they're a special treat for any occasion. For flavor variation, replace the vanilla extract with 1¼ teaspoons orange extract for Coconut Orange Macaroons.
1 cup unsweetenened coconut milk (not lite)
⅓ cup honey or agave nectar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup potato starch
3 cups unsweetened medium or finely shredded coconut
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Liberally grease a large cookie sheet and line with parchment.
2. In a medium bowl, blend coconut milk, honey and vanilla until well combined.
3. Add potato starch a little at a time, beating to combine. Fold in the coconut.
4. Drop batter by level tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet at least ½ inch apart. Using your fingers or the back of two soup spoons, press each mound of batter upward into a cone-like shape.
5. Bake in preheated oven on center rack until firm and lightly golden, about 20 to 24 minutes. Remove macaroons from cookie sheet by slipping a thin metal spatula under the edge of each cookie and carefully sawing back and forth. Refrigerate macaroons until very firm.
6. Melt chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat. Remove from heat. One at a time, spoon chocolate over the top of each macaroon. Place each chocolate-coated macaroon on a parchment-lined tray. Repeat with remaining macaroons. Refrigerate until set.
7. When cool, layer macaroons on parchment paper in a tightly covered container. Store in refrigerator until eaten.
Each macaroon contains 80 calories, 4g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10g carbohydrate, 21mg sodium, 1g fiber, 1g protein.
TIP Look for sulfite-free unsweetened flaked coconut in natural food stores or online. If you purchase coconut flakes, shred them by pulsing them in a food processor to a medium powder. Fluff with a fork and measure out what you need.
TIP Allergy-friendly chocolate chips are available from Enjoy Life Foods.
Recipe by Rachel Albert-Matesz.