Gluten-Free Challah Bread
MAKES ONE 9-INCH ROUND LOAF or TWO 4½x8½-INCH LOAVES
Traditionally prepared during Jewish holidays, challah bread is delicious any time of year. Ideal for sandwiches and toast, it makes perfect French toast.
For Stuffed French Toast, prepare one round loaf; cut it into ½-inch thick slices, halving each to make French toast “sandwiches.” Alternatively, prepare two 4½ x 8½ -inch loaves, cutting one into 12 slices (½-inch thick) to equal 24 halves. Depending on loaf size, you may want to add more slices to fill the pan. Save the second loaf for another use. Challah freezes well. This recipe can be made with egg replacement*.
5¾ cups Living Without’s high-protein flour blend
⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons xanthan gum
1½ teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 large eggs + 1 yolk*
5 tablespoons olive oil
1¾ cups warm water (105°F-110°F)
-Egg wash (1 large egg lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
1. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan or two 4½ x 8½-inch loaf pans.
2. Combine flour blend, brown sugar, xanthan gum and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
3. Add yeast and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, combine 4 eggs and 1 yolk*, olive oil and water. Add to dry ingredients.
5. Using the paddle or beater attachment, beat on low speed for 1 minute to blend. Increase to medium-high speed and beat 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and slightly shiny.
6. Scrape dough into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap that’s been sprayed with vegetable oil. Let dough rise in a warm place until it has reached the top of the pan.
7. Preheat oven to 375°F.
8. Set bread pan on a cookie sheet and brush top of loaf with egg wash.
9. Place loaf in preheated oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes until top is golden and a cake tester inserted nearly to the bottom of the bread comes out without sticky crumbs. If the top browns before the center is cooked, tent the loaf loosely with aluminum foil for remainder of baking time. If using 2 loaf pans, bake 30 to 35 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and set on a wire rack to cool completely.
11. When cool, remove the sides of the pan or turn loaves onto a wire rack.
*For Egg-Free Challah Bread, omit 4 eggs and 1 yolk. Combine 2 tablespoons golden flax meal and 6 tablespoons hot water. In a separate bowl, combine 3½ teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer and 4 tablespoons warm water. Let both mixtures cool. Then combine them and add to dry ingredients. If batter is too thick to mix, add additional warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Each slice contains 321 calories, 9g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 106mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 0g sugars, 7g protein, 35 Est GL.