Gluten-Free Blueberry Jam Pocket Pies
MAKES 12 PIES
Similar to jelly doughnuts, these tasty gluten-free pies are very portable and can be made as small as you wish for little hands.
2½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons blueberry jam
Zest of two lemons
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons liqueur (like Framboise or Grand
Marnier) or pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons tapioca starch/flour (+ 1 tablespoon if using frozen berries)
2⅓ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup non-hydrogenated organic vegetable shortening, cut into small chunks
⅓ cup ice-cold water, more as needed
1 large egg, whisked (for brushing dough) or milk of choice
Coarse sugar, to sprinkle on tops
1. To make Filling, mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside about 10 minutes and stir again. Set aside while making crust.
2. To make Crust, set flour in the bowl of a food processor. Add sugar and salt and pulse once to mix.
3. Add chunks of shortening. Pulse until mixture looks like large peas. While the processor is running, add ice water down the chute, a little at a time, and stop as soon as mixture turns into a ball. You may not need all the water.
4. Remove dough carefully, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
5. Place dough on floured parchment, top with more flour and cover with another sheet of parchment. Roll about ⅛-inch thick. Remove top parchment. Cut out circles about 5 inches in diameter.
6. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
7. Brush egg wash or milk of choice around the edges of each dough circle. Place a generous tablespoon of filling on one side of the circle toward the center. Using a small spatula, gently fold over and press to seal the edges. (Make sure crust circles are not cold when trying to fold them or they will crack.) Place on parchment-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
8. Cut small slits in each pie. Brush outside of pies lightly with egg wash or milk of choice. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place in freezer or refrigerator about 15 minutes.
9. Place in preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake about 18 minutes more. Rotate pans and bake about an additional 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Cool thoroughly on a rack.
Each pie contains 264 calories, 14g total fat, 9g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 53mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 33g total carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein.
Recipe by Lisa Stander-Horel (glutenfreecanteen.com), author of Gluten-Free Canteen’s Book of Nosh: Baking for Jewish Holidays and More.