Blueberry Cherry Smoothie
Blueberries and cherries have high levels of antioxidants, molecules that sweep through the body looking for dangerous free radicals to knock out. Coconut oil adds creamy richness while cloves provide a hint of mystery.
2 cups unflavored hemp milk, rice milk or milk of choice
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup pitted cherries
1 tablespoon coconut oil
-Pinch of ground cloves
1 cup blueberries, preferably frozen
1. Place all ingredients into a blender container in the order listed.
2. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Divide between 2 serving glasses.
Each serving contains 257 calories, 13g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g protein.
- Sweeten with honey instead of maple syrup.
- Try fresh apricots instead of cherries.
- Swap out cloves for ground nutmeg, cinnamon or allspice.
Canadian-based Matthew Kadey, RD, muffintinmania.com, is a dietition and a food writer. He is author of Muffin Tin Chef (Ulysses Press).