Beet Cakes with Herb Sauce
Both homey and sophisticated, these earthy-sweet, herb-strewn beet cakes have serious visual appeal. A mandoline or the large holes of a box grater are ideal for grating raw beets. Top with crumbled goat cheese (if tolerated) or a dairy-free cheese alternative.
1 pound beets, grated (about 4 medium beets)
⅓ cup gluten-free flour of choice
2 tablespoons oil of choice
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives or tarragon
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, optional
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
1½ cups fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ cup fresh basil
1 shallot, chopped
1 tablespoon capers, optional
-Juice of ½ lemon
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or paper-line 10 standard-size muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, combine beets, gluten-free flour, oil, chives or tarragon, vinegar, garlic, mustard, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
3. Divide mixture among prepared muffin cups, making sure to tightly pack in the beets.
4. Place in preheated oven and bake 20 minutes. Let cool for several minutes before unmolding.
5. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for Herb Sauce in a blender or food processor container and blend until well combined.
6. Serve beet cakes topped with Herb Sauce.