Gluten-Free Teff Pumpernickel Bread
MAKES ONE 2-POUND GLUTEN-FREE LOAF
This gluten-free bread has a chewy texture and plenty of fiber and nutrients. Don’t be tempted to omit the coffee. You won’t taste it but it is intrinsic to the pumpernickel taste. For a special treat, warm a slice in a 325° toaster oven and smear it with orange marmalade or honey. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
1½ cups water, room temperature or warmed to 110°F
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons safflower oil or other vegetable oil
3 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 cup rice flour
1 cup potato starch (not flour)
½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup teff flour
½ cup tapioca starch/flour
½ cup low-fat powdered milk, whey or dairy-free milk powder
¼ cup gluten-free cornmeal
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
1½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1. Program a 2-pound capacity machine for a 10-minute warm cycle, one (15-minute) knead and one (40-minute) rise cycle and bake 55 to 60 minutes or set it to the gluten-free cycle, if available. Alternatively use a quick white bread cycle.
2. In the bottom of the bread pan, combine water, eggs, oil, molasses and vinegar. Stir with a fork to blend well.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, potato starch, sorghum flour, teff flour, tapioca starch/flour, powdered milk, cornmeal, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, instant coffee, and salt. Sprinkle over liquids in the bread pan.
4. Make a shallow indentation in the center of the dry ingredients, making sure no liquid is visible. Add the yeast. Close the cover and press “start.” (If your bread machine manual recommends adding the ingredients in a different order, follow those instructions.)
5. Midway through the knead cycle, open the lid and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the pan to make sure all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
6. Remove the bread immediately after the bake cycle is complete. Turn the bread onto a wire rack to cool.
Loaf yields 14 slices. Each slice contains 216 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 46mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate, 25g fiber, 5g sugars, 5g protein, 23 Est GL.
For Egg-Free Teff Pumpernickel Bread, omit 3 eggs. Stir 1 tablespoon flax meal into ¼ cup hot water. Combine this mixture with the wet ingredients in the bread pan in Step 2. Add 1 tablespoon Ener-G Foods’ egg replacer powder to the dry ingredients in Step 3.