Sesame Seed Italian Bread
MAKES ONE 2-POUND LOAF
This bread is wonderful served warm with a bowl of olive oil for dipping. This recipe can be made with egg replacement.
1½ cups milk of choice, room temperature or warmed to 110ºF
3 large eggs, lightly beaten (reserve
1 teaspoon to brush top of loaf)
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 cup rice flour
½ cup millet flour
1¼ cups cornstarch or tapioca starch/flour
1 cup potato starch (not flour)
1½ tablespoons potato flour (not starch)
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, optional
1. Program a 2-pound capacity machine for a 10-minute warm cycle, one (15-minute) knead and one (40-minute) rise cycle and bake 55 to 60 minutes or set it to the gluten-free cycle, if available. Alternatively, use a quick white bread cycle.
2. In the bottom of the bread pan, combine milk, eggs, olive oil, honey and vinegar. Stir with a fork to blend well.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, millet flour, cornstarch, potato starch, potato flour, xanthan gum and salt. Sprinkle over liquids in the bread pan. Make a shallow indentation in the center of the dry ingredients, making sure no liquid is visible. Add the yeast. Close the cover and press “start.”
4. Midway through the knead cycle, open the lid and scrape down the sides of the pan with a rubber spatula to make sure all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
5. When the bread has advanced to the bake cycle and baked about 10 minutes or when the top is set, brush with reserved egg and sprinkle sesame seeds over the top. Close the lid and continue baking.
6. Remove the bread immediately when the bake cycle is complete. Turn bread onto a wire rack to cool.
Loaf yields 14 slices. Each slice contains 225 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 48mg cholesterol, 278mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 5g sugars, 4g protein, 25 Est GL.
For Sesame Seed Italian Herb Bread, add 1 teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon dried thyme and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder to the dry ingredients.
For Egg-Free Sesame Seed Italian Bread, omit 3 eggs. Stir 1 tablespoon flax meal into ¼ cup hot water. Add this mixture to the wet ingredients in the bread pan in Step 2. Then add 1 tablespoon Ener-G Foods’ egg replacer powder to the dry ingredients in Step 3. If your bread machine struggles to mix the dough, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the dough mixes more easily. Add water cautiously, as too much will cause your loaf to collapse while baking.