Gluten-Free Raspberry Linzer Stars
MAKES 30 SANDWICH COOKIES
For colorful new flavor, vary the jam or jelly in these cookies. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. They freeze well.
1 recipe Holiday Cookie Master Dough
⅔ cup seedless raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper, roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness. Cut out 2-inch stars or circles with cookie cutters. Gently gather extra dough and reroll it. (Refrigerate dough briefly if it becomes too soft to handle.)
3. With a small star or circle cookie cutter or with the point of a paring knife, cut centers out of half the cookies. Combine centers (dough scraps) and re-roll for more cookies. Chill cookies for 15 minutes.
4. When cookies are chilled, carefully transfer them to prepared cookie sheets with a spatula, setting them 1 inch apart. Place in preheated oven and bake 12 minutes or just until edges are slightly brown. Cool completely.
5. Heat jam in microwave for 45 seconds or until softened.
6. To assemble Linzers, set whole cookies on a sheet of parchment. Brush with warm jam and top each one with a center-cut cookie. Spoon remaining jam into the center of each cookie sandwich. Let cool until set.
Each cookie contains 123 calories, 6g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 21mg cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1g protein.
For Cut-Out Cookies, omit jam and follow instructions, using holiday-shaped cookie cutters. Decorate cooled cookies with icing of choice and sprinkles.
TIP Cookie cutters for traditional Linzer Cookies are available at coppergifts.com.