Overnight Breakfast Casserole
This breakfast casserole has the delicious texture of bread pudding. Make it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. It can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
⅓ cup butter or dairy-free alternative
⅔ cup brown sugar or coconut palm sugar, divided
1 loaf unsliced gluten-free sandwich bread or French bread
6 large eggs
1¼ cups canned coconut milk or gluten-free liquid creamer of choice
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon sea salt
-Pure maple syrup, optional
½ cup chopped pecans or raw sunflower seeds, optional
½ cup fresh blueberries, optional
1. Melt butter and drizzle it over the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle enough brown sugar to cover bottom, reserving about ¼ cup to sprinkle over casserole before baking.
2. Cut bread into 1-inch-thick slices. Lay slices on top of butter and sugar in the baking pan. Slices may overlap slightly.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
4. Pour egg mixture over the bread, evenly coating each slice. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Sprinkle with pecans and blueberries, if desired. Cover pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Remove plastic wrap from casserole and cover loosely with foil.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake 35 minutes. The bread should have soaked up most of the liquid at this point. If not, remove the foil and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Let casserole cool slightly. Serve warm with maple syrup.
For Egg-Free Breakfast Casserole, replace 6 eggs with 1½ cups apple butter, canned pumpkin or mashed bananas. Add an extra ¼-½ cup coconut milk or liquid creamer to thin the mixture, if necessary.
TIP Breakfast casserole is a great way to use up your old gluten-free bread. Stale or frozen (and thawed) bread works well in this recipe.
Each serving contains 351 calories, 16g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 125mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 17g sugars, 6g protein, 30Est GL.