Gluten-Free Multigrain Bread Recipe
MAKES ONE 2-POUND GLUTEN FREE LOAF
This gluten-free bread is filled with nutrients and has a subtle whole-wheat flavor—without the gluten. Flax meal adds fiber and lends structure to the loaf. This recipe can be made either in a bread machine or in the oven, and with egg replacement; see instructions below.
1⅔ cups water, room temperature or warmed to 110ºF
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons safflower oil or other vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 cup rice flour
1¼ cups potato starch (not flour)
¾ cup sorghum flour
½ cup amaranth flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
½ cup low-fat powdered milk, whey or dairy-free milk powder of choice
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flax meal
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
Bread Machine Directions:
1. Program a 2-pound capacity machine for a 10-minute warm cycle, one (15-minute) knead and one (40-minute) rise cycle and bake 55 to 60 minutes or set it to the gluten-free cycle, if available. Alternatively, use a quick white bread cycle.
2. In the bottom of the bread pan, combine water, eggs, oil and vinegar. Stir with a fork to blend well.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, potato starch, sorghum flour, amaranth flour, tapioca starch/flour, powdered milk, sugar, flax meal, xanthan gum and salt. Sprinkle over liquids in the bread pan. Make a shallow indentation in the center of the dry ingredients, making sure no liquid is visible. Add the yeast. Close the cover and press “start.” (If your bread machine manual recommends adding the ingredients in a different order, follow those instructions.)
4. Midway through the knead cycle, open the lid and scrape down the sides of the pan with a rubber spatula to make sure all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
5. Remove the bread immediately after the bake cycle is complete. Turn the bread onto a wire rack to cool.
If you’re baking a gluten-free loaf in your oven (not the bread machine), follow these instructions. For best results, use a heavy-duty hand-held or stand mixer.
1. Lightly oil two 4½x8½-inch loaf pans. Set aside.
2. Combine the dry ingredients (except the yeast) in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend well at low speed. Add the yeast and blend.
3. Warm the milk or water to 110°F. Combine remaining liquid ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the warm milk or water, stirring to combine.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, beating at low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat about 3 minutes or until mixture is shiny and smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl in long strands.
5. Transfer dough evenly to prepared pans. Smooth the tops and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Place dough in a warm, draft-free spot to rise to the top of the pan.
6. Preheat oven to 375°F.
7. Remove the plastic wrap and place pans in preheated oven. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 190°F to 200°F.
8. Remove loaves from pans and turn out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.
Loaf yields 14 slices. Each slice contains 222 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 46mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 5g sugars, 5g protein, 23 Est GL.
For Egg-Free Multigrain or Egg-Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread, omit 3 eggs. Stir 1 tablespoon flax meal into ¼ cup hot water. Add to the wet ingredients in the bread pan in Step 2. Then add 1 tablespoon Ener-G Foods’ egg replacer powder to the dry ingredients in Step 3.