Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, Gluten-Free
MAKES 12 TO 14 MUFFINS
Muffins: They're ideal for a quick breakfast, a midday snack, a tasty dessert. And they can feature all kinds of favorite fruits. In this case, the star is lemon, as complemented by the distinct texture of poppy seeds.
These easy-to-prepare muffins, you'll find, are moist and delicious and offer a vibrant flavor. They can be made ahead and frozen, too. For instructions to replace the eggs, see below.
1¾ cups Gluten Free & More’s All-Purpose Flour Blend;
1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free buttery spread, softened
2/3 cup sugar, more for topping
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk or milk of choice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin pan with muffin papers.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour blend, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add poppy seeds and lemon zest and blend well. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, beating well.
4. On low speed, add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Add the buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat just until smooth.
5. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each ¾ full. Sprinkle sugar over
muffin tops just before baking.
6. Place muffin pan in preheated oven and bake 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
TIP: To make “buttermilk,” place 1 tablespoon vinegar in a measuring cup. Add milk of choice to measure 1 cup and let sit a minute or two before using in recipe.
Each muffin contains 161 calories, 6g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 44mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 10g sugars, 2g protein, 16 Est GL.
MAKES 3 CUPS
Depending on the recipe, use this blend for most gluten-free baking.
1 1/2 cups white or brown rice flour (or combination)
3/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
3/4 cup cornstarch or potato starch (not potato flour)
Each cup contains 436 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 99g carbohydrate, 3mg sodium, 2g fiber, 5g protein.
For Egg-Free Lemon Poppy Muffins, omit 2 eggs. Combine 1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer and 4 tablespoons warm water, mixing well. Add to creamed butter and sugar in Step 3.
Recipe by GFM Food Editor Beth Hillson (bhillson@GlutenFreeAndMore.com). Hillson is author of Gluten-Free Makeovers and The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten Free (DaCapo Lifelong), both of which are available at GlutenFreeAndMore.com.
Note: This recipe comes from the special issue Gluten Free Holidays, available on newsstands for a limited time or by visiting this page on our website.