Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Quinoa Stuffing Recipe
MAKES 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
This no-bread Thanksgiving stuffing recipe is perfect for those gluten free sweet tooths at your table. The sweet potato and quinoa blend into a wonderful texture, while savory ingredients like fennel and peppercorns balance out the sweetness of the sweet potato.
1 large raw sweet potato, chopped into ½-inch cubes
1 cup raw quinoa, cooked per package instructions
¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil, divided
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek
3 stalks celery, finely diced
1 small fennel bulb, finely diced
½ white onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon peppercorns, crushed
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon raisins
¼ cup gluten-free chicken broth or turkey drippings
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 11x7-inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, toss sweet potato cubes and cooked quinoa with parsley and sage. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Set aside.
3. Place pumpkin seeds and fenugreek in a large skillet over low heat and toast until pumpkin seeds brown and become fragrant. Remove pumpkin seeds and fenugreek from pan.
4. Place remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan and increase heat to medium. Add celery, fennel and onion and cook until onion is translucent and fennel is tender. Remove from heat and add to sweet potato and quinoa mixture.
5. In a bowl, combine crushed peppercorns and thyme, toasted pumpkin seeds, toasted fenugreek and cooked vegetables. Add to sweet potato and quinoa mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in raisins.
6. Place stuffing in prepared baking dish. Drizzle broth over stuffing.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake, covered, until completely heated through, about 30 minutes. Remove and serve piping hot.
Each serving contains 126 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 3g sugars, 4g protein, 7Est GL.
I’m a maverick cook and this Gluten-Free Sweet Tater Quinoa Stuffing recipe grew out of many no-recipe romps in my kitchen. It was inspired by my celiac diagnosis and a love for sweet potatoes and savory-sweet flavor. It helps make my holiday table friendly to every guest, no matter their dietary needs.
—CJ Williams, Boston, MA