Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Champion Sandwich Bread
SERVES 4 TO 6
[Updated Nov. 25, 2015]
Light in texture, this is the perfect everyday bread for breakfast and sandwiches. This recipe takes only a few minutes to put together in a stand mixer. For maximum yeast rise, have all ingredients at room temperature.
4 cups Brown Rice Flour Blend
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon gluten-free egg replacer
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup powdered milk or nondairy milk powder substitute
1 package (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
3 large eggs
¼ cup butter, margarine or Spectrum organic shortening
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
⅓ cup honey or agave nectar
2 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
1. Grease and flour two 8-inch bread pans.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a medium-size bowl. Set aside.
3. Place eggs, butter, vinegar and honey in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. With the paddle attachment, mix ingredients together for about 30 seconds. The butter (or magarine or shortening) will be chunky.
4. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Mix just until blended. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix for approximately 30 seconds, until blended.
5. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add warm water until well absorbed. Turn the mixer to medium-high speed and beat for 4 minutes. Bread dough should resemble cake batter.
6. Spoon the dough into prepared pans. Set aside in a warm place to rise, about 50 to 60 minutes. While dough rises, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Place pans in preheated oven on middle rack and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until bread's internal temperature reaches 200 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
8. Let bread cool in pans for 10 minutes. Then remove loaves from pans and place on a rack to cool.
Each serving contains 119 calories, 3g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 29mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 0g protein.
GLUTEN-FREE EGG REPLACER
Gluten-free egg replacer is available from Ener-G Foods (ener-g.com).
MAKES 4 CUPS
1⅓ cups brown rice flour, preferably super-fine grind
1⅓ cups tapioca flour/starch
1⅓ cups cornstarch
1 tablespoon potato flour (not potato starch)
Blend ingredients together. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Allow flour blend to warm to room temperature before using.
Super-fine rice flour ensures a smooth-textured loaf. To make it, process regular rice flour in a food processor with the steel blade attachment for 1 minute.