Potato Sandwich Bread
MAKES ONE LOAF
This dense, chewy loaf is great for sandwiches and toast. It also makes wonderful French toast.
3 cups gluten-free high-fiber flour blend
¼ cup potato flakes
¼ cup milk powder of choice
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
2 packages instant dry yeast
3 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vinegar
1¼ cups warm water
3 tablespoons oil of choice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x4-inch bread pan and sprinkle with cornmeal or rice flour.
2. Mix the flour blend, potato flakes, milk powder, salt and xanthan gum into a mixing bowl and combine well using the beater/paddle of your mixer. Add the yeast and blend.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vinegar, water and oil.
4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry, mixing at medium speed until everything is well blended. If the batter seems too dry, add more warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
5. Spoon the dough into the prepared pan only half full. Spray the top of the dough with baking spray. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the top. Spray a piece of plastic wrap and loosely cover the bread. Place in a warm, draft-free place for 20 to 30 minutes or until the dough reaches just to the top of the pan.
6. Place pan in preheated oven on the middle rack and bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove bread from the pan and cool on a rack.
Variations on Potato Sandwich Bread
White Sandwich Bread
Replace the high-fiber flour blend with an equal amount of high-protein flour blend. Proceed with recipe instructions.
Baked Potato Bread
Mix ¼ cup crisp bacon (chopped) and 2 tablespoons dried chives into the batter after the 5 minutes of beating. Proceed with recipe instructions.
After dough is spooned into the bread pan, drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top. Using your index and middle fingers, dimple the bread. Sprinkle the top with 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary and coarse salt. For focaccia-like bread, dough can be baked at this point. For Rosemary Bread, allow dough to rise and proceed with recipe instructions.