Gluten-Free No-Knead Bread
MAKES 1 GLUTEN-FREE BOULE (14 SLICES)
This gluten-free version of no-knead bread is dairy-free and egg-free, too. For best results, bake the gluten-free loaf in a 4-quart Dutch oven fitted with a lid. The dough is easy to prepare and it’s very versatile. Use it to make delicious gluten-free rolls and gluten-free breadsticks.
¼ cup flax meal
¾ cup hot water
3 cups sorghum flour
1½ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
1 cup sweet rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch/flour
4 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons salt
3½ teaspoons yeast
2 cups + 1 tablespoon warm water, divided
¼ cup honey
-Olive oil, to brush top, optional
1. In a medium bowl, combine flax meal with hot water and let sit until thickened into a gel, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together sorghum flour, potato starch, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch/flour, xanthan gum and salt. Set aside.
3. Stir yeast, ½ cup warm water and honey into flax gel. Let sit 15 minutes or until mixture becomes foamy. Stir this into dry ingredients.
4. Add 1½ cups warm water, a little at a time, until dough is smooth and silky to touch but not sticky. Add 1 tablespoon more water if dough still has some dry spots. Dough will be shaggy. Don’t worry about smoothing it out at this point.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let dough sit on the counter 8 hours or overnight in a draft-free, fairly warm spot (about 70°F). Dough will rise but it won’t double in size.
6. Coat a sheet of parchment paper with oil. Place dough on parchment. Smooth out dough and roll it in oil to coat. Then set dough in a 4-quart Dutch oven, cover and let rise 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 450°F.
8. Gently score top of dough with a sharp knife. Brush the top with oil, if desired. Cover with lid and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake another 30 to 40 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the bread reads 190 to 200°F.
9. Cool loaf completely before slicing.