Gluten-Free Hot Chocolate Cookies with Brown Rice Flour
MAKES ABOUT 30 COOKIES
Ed. note: The recipe below is an excerpt from Roben Ryberg's Gluten-Free in Five Minutes. Ryberg set out to create "rapid recipes" for breads, rolls, cakes, muffins, and other treats, and ended up with 123 of them in this easy-to-follow 120-page book.
This cookie tastes like hot chocolate with tiny marshmallows melted on top. I hope you enjoy these as much as I enjoyed creating them. They are slightly crisp on the outside and soft inside.
1/3 cup oil, 65 grams
½ cup sugar, 100 grams
1¼ cups brown rice flour, 155 grams
½ cup chocolate syrup (such as Hershey’s)
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup finely chopped mini marshmallows
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Very lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine the oil and sugar. Beat well. Add the brown rice flour and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, except the marshmallows, and beat well. Continue beating until the dough comes together; it will be soft and sticky. Gently mix in the marshmallows.
4. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared pan.
5. Bake the cookies for about 9 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Let cool for a minute or so on the baking sheet to make the cookies easier to remove. (The cookies will flatten during cooling.) Let cool on wire racks before serving.
For more quick and easy-to-make recipes, buy Gluten-Free in Five Minutes from our Gluten-Free & More bookstore.