Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chicken Fried Rice
Cold cooked rice is the secret to delicious fried rice. Here’s a quick and flavorful way to use leftover rice. Pork loin, ham, tofu or shrimp, if tolerated, can be substituted for chicken.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 cup frozen shelled peas or edamame
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups cooked long-grain rice, cooled
¼ cup gluten-free chicken or vegetable stock
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
¾ teaspoon coarse salt
½ teaspoon Asian chili paste or hot pepper sauce, optional
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cup diced fresh pineapple or canned cubed pineapple, drained
- Fresh cilantro, optional
1. Cut chicken into ½-inch cubes.
2. In a wok, heat oil over high heat. Stir-fry chicken, onion and carrots until carrots are tender and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Add peas or edamame, ginger and garlic. Stir-fry over medium heat for 2 minutes.
4. Add rice, stock, green onions, mushrooms, sesame oil, salt and chili paste. Stir-fry until hot, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in bean sprouts and pineapple and heat 1 to 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serve hot.