Gluten-Free Cranberry Orange Quick Bread
The flavors of cranberry and orange come together in this hearty quick bread. This loaf works equally well as a side for a large holiday meal, sliced and toasted for breakfast or given as a hostess gift for a holiday party. Try making it as mini-loaves for presents.
2 cups Multi-Grain Flour Blend or gluten-free flour blend of choice
1 tablespoon flax meal
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup original unsweetened hemp milk or milk of choice
¼ cup orange juice
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
⅓ cup grape seed oil or mild-tasting vegetable oil of choice
⅓ cup honey or light agave nectar
1 cup cranberries, roughly chopped
1½ tablespoons orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a loaf pan.
2. Combine flour blend, flax meal, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine milk, orange juice, applesauce, oil and honey in a large mixing bowl. Blend on medium speed, about 2 minutes.
4. Add dry ingredients and blend until smooth. Add cranberries and orange zest. Blend on low just to combine.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Each serving contains 183 calories, 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 195mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g protein.
MAKES 2 CUPS
½ cup brown rice flour
¾ cup sorghum flour
½ cup amaranth flour
¼ cup tapioca starch/flour
Combine all ingredients until well blended. Store in the refrigerator in a covered container until used.
Each cup contains 483 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 101g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 13g protein.