Gluten-Free Classic Apricot Bars
MAKES 40 SMALL SQUARES
Apricot filling and a crust made with coconut sugar and flax meal make this dessert bar rich and flavorful.
1 cup Mary’s Baking Blend or gluten-free
all-purpose flour blend of choice
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ cup coconut sugar or date sugar
2 tablespoons golden flax meal or chia seeds
½ cup unsalted butter, dairy-free butter alternative
or non-hydrogenated organic shortening,
chilled and chopped
½ cup dried apricots
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon lemon extract
2 tablespoons honey, rice syrup or maple syrup
½ cup coconut sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup Mary’s Baking Blend or gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
-Confectioners’ sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
2. To make crust, place flour blend, xanthan gum, sugar and flax meal in the container of a food processor affixed with the blade attachment. Process to combine ingredients. Add cold, chopped butter and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
3. Press crust mixture evenly into prepared pan. Place in preheated oven and bake 15 minutes. Remove crust from oven and let cool slightly before adding filling.
4. To prepare filling, place apricots in a small pan and cover with water. Boil 10 minutes until fruit is soft. Drain and place apricots in the container of a food processor with the blade attachment. Add zest, lemon extract, honey, sugar, baking powder and flour blend and pulse until ingredients are well combined.
5. Spoon filling on to baked crust, pressing the filling down gently with the back of a wet spatula or wooden spoon in order not to disturb the crust. Place in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting into 1x1¾-inch squares. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. These bars can be made the day before and let sit overnight.
Each square contains 62 calories, 3g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 6mg cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 5g sugars,1g protein, 5Est GL.
MAKES 6 CUPS
Store this blend in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1⅓ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
Mix ingredients together.
Each cup contains 564 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 127g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 7g protein.