Allergy and intolerance to corn are hard to shuck
Katie Evers tossed a few handfuls of popcorn into her mouth as she prepared for her sons third birthday party in May 2011. Before long, she began to have extreme difficulty breathing, along with a hard time walking or even understanding what was going on. Evers took some Benadryl, hoping it would do the trick. It helped her get through the night but she woke up the next morning in a pool of sweat, unable to stand , her heart racing and her lungs feeling so tight it was as though she was sucking air through a straw. An ambulance raced her to the emergency room.