Gluten-Free Springtime Scones
Spring heralds daffodils and tulips. It begs for simple yet elegant touches, in keeping with the special festivities that mark this time of year. Whether it’s Mother’s Day breakfast in bed or any special occasion, these fresh-baked blueberry cinnamon scones celebrate the season.
You won’t believe how easy these scones are to make. Almost from scratch, the recipe calls for just seven ingredients (including a gluten-free muffin mix) and takes only 25 minutes from start to finish. Your guests will think you were baking all morning.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Blueberry Cinnamon Scones
Makes 12 scones
To dress these up, drizzle baked scones with a glaze (mix together confectioners’ sugar and milk of choice). Make the glaze sufficiently thick so it doesn’t drip down the sides. Alternatively, brush scones with a mixture of brown sugar and milk of choice before baking. Serve scones with homemade preserves, if desired.
2½ cups (about 15 ounces) gluten-free muffin mix (see Shopping List on right)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter or dairy-free buttery spread, cut into small pieces and frozen for 10 minutes
1 large egg or flax gel
½ cup milk or dairy-free milk of choice
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
¾ cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the muffin mix and cinnamon. Pulse briefly to blend. Scatter pieces of butter or dairy-free spread over the dry mix and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Combine the egg, milk and vinegar in a separate bowl. Add to flour mixture and pulse until moistened.
4. Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and fold in the blueberries. Scoop dough (about 3 tablespoons in each scoop) onto cookie sheets, leaving room for scones to spread.
5. Place cookie sheets in preheated oven and bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.