Gluten-Free Hearts Delight
A special dessert for your special diet
This gluten-free, dairy-free version of a classic dessert will steal the heart of any sweetheart. Serve in pre-made dessert shells and top with fresh raspberries for an elegant presentation. For variation, sprinkle with grated orange rind or chocolate shavings. For best results, do not replace egg yolks with an egg substitute.
Dairy-Free Orange Coconut Bavarian Cream
SERVES 8 TO 12
3 teaspoons gelatin
¼ cup orange juice
2 cups coconut milk (not low fat)
4 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar*
1 cup whipped cream or dairy-free whipped topping
1. In a Pyrex cup, sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cup orange juice. Stir to blend. Let sit so that gelatin solidifies. Then heat in microwave 30 to 40 seconds or until mixture turns to a smooth liquid. Set aside.
2. In a medium-size heavy pan, heat coconut milk to steaming. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a separate saucepan, combine egg yolks and sugar, mixing well. Stir in hot coconut milk, a little at a time at first to prevent yolks from curdling. Add remaining milk and return saucepan to medium heat.
4. Stir until mixture begins to steam and coats a wooden spoon. (You can tell the spoon is coated by dipping it into the hot mixture and then running your finger down the back of the spoon. If the line where you started remains visible, the mixture is ready.)** Let cool slightly.
5. In a steady stream, add the liquid gelatin, stirring to combine. Transfer to a large bowl.
6. Refrigerate until mixture begins to set, 30 to 45 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup whipped cream or dairy-free whipped topping until smooth and return to refrigerator to set and chill.
7. Spoon Bavarian Cream into chocolate dessert shells and serve.
Each serving (without dessert shell) contains 159 calories, 10g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 70mg cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 2g protein.
For Vanilla Coconut Bavarian Cream, replace orange juice with an equal amount of water. Then add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract to slightly cooled coconut milk mixture (step 4) and proceed with recipe.
Gluten-Free Orange Bavarian Cream Pie
SERVES 8 TO 10
Here’s another way to impress your sweetheart without a lot of preparation or advance planning. Fill a cookie or graham cracker-style crust with Orange Bavarian Cream for a delicious pie. Top with toasted coconut, chocolate shavings or grated orange peel.
1½ cups finely ground gluten-free graham- style crackers, orange shortbread cookies or chocolate cookies
¼ cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter or dairy-free buttery spread, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan or pie plate.
2. Mix crumbs and sugar together; stir in melted butter.
3. Press mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of prepared pan.
4. Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
5. Spoon partially set Orange Bavarian Cream into prepared crust and smooth the top. Add garnishes, as desired. Chill completely before serving.