Bake a Gluten-Free Cake
Wow your guests with Living Without's cover dessert
Cover Star Cake
MAKES 1 CAKE with cake leftover
Here's what you'll need to make our star cake. Double this recipe for three cakes.
2 (15-ounce) gluten-free chocolate cake mixes*
4 graduated star cookie cutters
❧ Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare chocolate cake mixes according to instructions on package. Spoon batter into a lightly oiled 11x17-inch sheet pan that is at least 1 inch deep.
3. Bake 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cake completely.
4. Cut cake into star shapes using graduated-size cookie cutters. Use the largest cutters you can find that fit your sheet pan. (We used 4 cookie cutters, ranging in size from 3 inches to 7½ inches.)
5. Sprinkle cake stars with sugar and arrange on a serving plate from largest to smallest. To prevent cake from shifting, place a dollop of frosting between the layers. Decorate top as desired.
*TIP If using a 19- to 21-ounce mix, prepare 3 boxes to fill two 11x17-inch sheet pans. Makes 3 star cakes.
If you'd rather avoid chocolate, try this traditional-style cake that features a delicate blend of ginger, cinnamon and molasses. To make our cover cake, double this recipe and spoon batter into a lightly oiled 11x17-inch sheet pan. Bake in preheated oven for 28 to 30 minutes until done. Cool completely before making cut-outs. Follow instructions 4 and 5 on left.
1 2/3 Brown Rice Flour Mix (recipe below)
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
1½ teaspoons ground ginger
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup molasses
½ cup canola oil
½ cup boiling water
❧ Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Position rack in center of oven. Lightly grease a 8x8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Place flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl of electric mixer and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined.
3. Add egg, sugar and molasses and mix until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour oil and boiling water over batter and mix until smooth, about 30 seconds.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in center of preheated oven for 35 minutes or until top springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
5. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Use a small knife to cut around pan sides to loosen cake, if necessary. Invert cake onto a rack and cool. Sift confectioner’s sugar over cake.
Each slice contains 186 calories, 1g total fat, 0g trans fat, 23mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein.
MAKES 3 CUPS
2 cups extra finely ground brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1. Combine ingredients until well blended. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator. LW
Recipe reprinted with permission from Gluten-Free Baking Classics (Agate Surrey), by Annalise Roberts.
Graduated star cookie cutters are available online at cookiecutter.com and goldaskitchen.com.