Healthy Ways to Boost Your Nutrient Count
Good For You
Love dessert? Try these healthy ways to boost its nutritional density.
1. Replace brown sugar in cookie and cake recipes with an equal amount of soft, packed, pitted Medjool or Black Sphinx dates. Cover and soak dates in warm water for two hours. Drain. Then puree dates with wet ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
2. Replace 1 cup white sugar in baked goods recipes with ¾ cup honey or agave nectar. Reduce the liquid in the recipe by a third and lower oven temperature by 25 degrees.
3. Blend ¼ cup grated apples, carrots or zucchini into cake or brownie batter.
4. Enjoy fresh fruit for dessert. Slice and serve in crystal goblets, topped with a flavorful sauce and a sprinkle of coconut or toasted nuts, if tolerated.
5. Serve poached fruit for dessert on chilly evenings. To increase nutrients, replace water or wine with apple or white grape juice. Replace white sugar with an equal volume of raisins.