1. Choose fruit that is firm with a hint of ripeness (not too green), free of bruises.
2. Unless fruit is labeled organic, it has probably been sprayed with pesticides and coated in wax. Peel it before eating or wash it thoroughly.
3. Let fruit ripen at room temperature and then store it in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
4. To prevent sliced fruit from turning brown (it oxidizes and loses vitamin C), rub slices with a little lemon juice after peeling.
5. For added safety while slicing fruit, place a damp cloth under your cutting board to keep it from slipping.